Sunday, January 31, 2010

A rugby white lie

After an exciting day of exploring Durban’s Indian quarter with my friend Happiness, we took a taxi bus back to UKZN and proceeded to walk home. Passing the Kwazulu-Natal varsity athletic field, I stopped dead in my tracks: there was a full-sided, well-supplied rugby practice going on. I tore down towards the pitch and approached the man who I knew, without asking, was the head coach – his presence and voice exuded an unquestioned sense of authority and charge. With a couple of harmless white lies, I convinced him that I was studying abroad at the University and he subsequently invited me out to have a trial practice.

Sprinting back home, Happiness laughing at my childlike glee in getting a chance to play formal, contact, South African rugby, I picked up my gear and was back at the pitch in minutes. Again, and perhaps much more so than in my previous South African touch rugby experiences, I was blown away by the sheer talent and knowledge on the players assembled on the field. On defense everyone advanced in a perfect, gap-less line, making swift tackles that were immediately followed by efficient two-man rucking. On offense, the line was spread the width of the field, players cutting and shifting positions as the ball swiftly traveled between players’ hands. It was truly a sight to behold, such incredible power and speed combined with unmatched organization and structure. I was definitely below the talent bar of most of the players, but the coach appreciated my effort and invited me back out to practice on Wednesday. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment